When the serious process begins of choosing a house that’s right for you and your family, where and how do you start researching? For months, while relaxing on the couch with your smart phone and/or laptop, you were just clicking on random properties for sale or new home design ideas. We all do it, right? But when you officially start the process of locating the perfect house, there are steps to consider.
6 Easy Steps for Choosing the Right Home
1. Talk to your family. Your spouse and kids should all be considered in the decision. They will be sharing the new space with you; and if you are single, talk to your parents and/or close friends.
2. Stay on budget. This is probably the most common influence if a house if right for you. Don’t over extend yourself with a large house payment.
3. Make a “needs” list. Key word here is needs, not wants. The wants will come later. As a family, write down everyone’s needs for their new space. Kitchens, master bathrooms, family rooms are the most common needs assessment in a new home. Define the needs for these spaces.
4. Outline a location. You can change many things on a house, but you can change your location. For many of us, location is everything. Choose an area that fits your family’s lifestyle. If you have kids or plan to have kids, you may want to be in proximity to schools you prefer they attend. Location close to shopping is another suggestion. Piece and quite of country living may also be your preference. Ideally, make a list of several potential locations and drive to each location.
Suggestion: visit each location during the week, weekend, day and evening. If you are 12 months away, visit the locations during each season. This will help you understand how the community looks and functions.
5. Living and storage space. This is obvious, but sometimes forgotten and not realized until you try to fit your furniture in the space. In addition, think long-term storage needs. Refer to your needs list.
6. Now your new home wants. Ok, we waited until step #6 to include your wants. However, in reality, this is #1 because you want a new home. That’s why you are researching. In all seriousness, you may not get all the wants in a new home for various reasons we won’t discuss here so that’s why you think of needs first. Make a separate list of your new home wants. Prioritize your list starting with the most important.
There are other considerations in how to choose a house, but the 6 steps above are the most common. At Shugart Homes, we listen to our customers’ and potential customers’ when designing homes and communities. Therefore, we have various home designs and communities that meet many new homeowners needs and wants.
Are there other steps you would consider? Share them with us and the other readers below.